Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"If I'm going to get a story, I'll get a movie."

This is a quote from the yesterday's AP article that states one in four adults did not read a SINGLE book last year. This just blows my mind! Well, initially it rendered me speechless because I love books with a capital L and the thought of 25 percent of adults not cracking open a true crime novel (my mother's weakness) or Oprah's latest book club pick (does she still do those?) just makes me feel sad. Then I read that it was a poll of 1000 adults which doesn't seem like a ton of people to me. But yet 250 grown people not reading ONE book does seem like 249 too many. So it still upsets me. 'Mon People (as my two year old puts it), don't just rent the movie. They're never as good.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Hi Angela,

This survey floored me too, but then I heard someone comment that it means that 75% of people did read a book, which is really quite a lot. No wonder those bookstore chains are doing so well!

infoperks said...

Your blog title is great- made me laugh!

Her Highness Andromeda the Fluffy said...

I read that article too. I was astonished...I've heard of people who don't like to read, but I've never actually seen any. That would be so alien to me...

jwl said...

Hi Angela,

I would be surprised if my husband read a single book last year, yet he reads CONSTANTLY. He's a law student and a news junkie. Books, not so much, but he does read.

I do think it's annoying when he scoffs at fiction, though :)